Alien Girl Discoveries: The History of your Look!✩
Fashion is a big statement in the world, we all have our own unique style of dressing and even from person to person it changes each day - we all have our “I can’t be bothered to do anything today I just want to sleep and eat” outfits of comfort clothes or our “I’m the shit” outfit of whatever makes our individual beautiful points stand out and make us feel bright and happy.
When I search ‘the latest fashion trends of 2014’ or summer or spring or 5pm of the 99th day of this year, you get websites like Vogue and Glamour, with catwalk models in designer outfits which tends to base more on the artistic side of fashion, looking at what is popular in textiles including patterns, colours and fabrics which is interesting, however what I’m interested in is what particular stuff I spot on tumblr, social media and the streets as popular at the moment and the histories of it and I hope you find it interesting too!
#1 - Ear Stretching
I think by now everyone has heard of ear stretching or knows someone who has done it. My family in the mothership normally state this as that ‘thing kids do where they have a hole in their ear’, which is a pretty simple description of it.
An interesting or creepy fact about ear stretching - it’s not the only thing you can stretch! Although ears are probably the most safest, common and known stretches, people also can stretch their lips and septums/nose piercings! Disgusting or cool? To each their own!
So where did it all start? - According to wikipedia this type of body modification is practiced by and originates from Indigenous people! Tribes from various countries such as Africa and Eurasia practice this for cultural, religious and traditional purposes! In modern times I believe most stretchers/plugs/tapers are made from acrylic however back when it was practiced in Tribes they would use organic materials like shells, teeth and claws to get the natural shape!
What they signified to Tribes - The bigger the hole, the higher the ranking! For men in the Tribes it would indicate their standing and ranking. However for women it was more decorative and would also signify when a girl has reached womanhood.
Where else did this appear in History? - Ever heard of Otzi the Ice Man? This trendsetter dates back to 3300 BC and when his body was inspected they found his body was quite the canvas for several tattoos and that his ears were stretched 7mm-11mm! As well as this Buddha’s statues are almost always depicted with his long stretched ears. He wore gold jewelry on his ears as a status symbol and when he removed them they had stretched his ears dramatically!
So now you know a little more about the history of your look! Have you got any more interesting facts to add? Feel free to reblog and comment!!
- jalex-shmalex reblogged this from aliiengirl
- juleana reblogged this from aliiengirl
- juleana likes this
- mikedasman likes this
- seapancake reblogged this from krystal-cage
- krystal-cage reblogged this from enebi and added:
- enebi reblogged this from aliiengirl
- enebi likes this
- smittenlittlekitten likes this
- p-ardiselost reblogged this from aliiengirl
- p-ardiselost likes this
- nyhkolemstar likes this
- anjelicasophia reblogged this from aliiengirl
- btr913 likes this
- thebetterspencerlogan reblogged this from theodorethefuckinggreat-
- theodorethefuckinggreat- reblogged this from aliiengirl
- raisingthedead likes this
- mars-to-sirius likes this
- graze-it likes this
- maleamp likes this
- vargil26 likes this
- polishwanker likes this
- love-dan-phil reblogged this from aliiengirl
- love-dan-phil likes this
- tytheboywhocouldfly likes this
- decorativeearholes reblogged this from aliiengirl
- wekeepthishope likes this
- cherriandrews likes this
- admiralsaintrose likes this
- goldsgift likes this
- lay-baek-on-crackyeol likes this
- bootycallformaffage reblogged this from aliiengirl
- bootycallformaffage likes this
- bloodredbits likes this
- thavillage reblogged this from aliiengirl
- excitednarwhal likes this
- pastelpsychosis likes this
- isiandco likes this
- felinepizza likes this
- taqimunassar likes this
- thevastespace likes this
- oohhiari reblogged this from aliiengirl
- awkwardwaleed likes this
- mitchielovesyou19 likes this
- semifriedpotatoe likes this
- estrellameraz likes this
- dcpantherk reblogged this from aliiengirl
- tsuumikan likes this
- freewithinboundaries likes this
- freewithinboundaries reblogged this from aliiengirl